Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Malaysia, a plurastic society


My apologies for the delay in posting.  Myanmar blocked all things affiliated with Google (Blogger being one of them) therefore, I could not post.

I posed a question in my last posting, asking if whether or not different religious groups could live  peacefully next to each other.  In contrast to the religious fighting, rioting and upheaval between Buddhist and Muslims in Southern Thailland that I experienced,  roughly 50 miles across the border in Malaysia, Hindus, Muslims, Christians and Buddhist all live peacefully next to each other.  It is a truly amazing sight to witness girls in head coverings walking out of school with their friends in plain western style clothes, chattering and giggling away at what I am assuming to be the lastest gossip or love interest ; or prehaps more striking is the image of Buddhist monks leaving their monestaries and walking pass a Muslim mosque.   I think that it is the historical significance and geographical position of Malaysia that makes it quite unique in acceptance of differences.  Being  at the cross roads of sea routes , the gate way for ships from China to go to Europe and/or the Middle East, and vice-versa, I would conjure that the peoples of Malaysia are accustomed to welcoming in « strangers » and making them into « friends. » In my short time in Malaysia,  I have noticed that differences seem to be the norm rather than the exception.

A perfect example of this blend of cultures is the port city of Melaka, right on the Straights of Melacca.  Preceeding colonization in the 14th century, the Sultans of Melaka developed strong diplomatic relationships with China and India, welcoming trade and persons from those civilizations to Melaka.  After the 14th century, Melala was first colonized by the Portugese, followed by the Dutch, then the British, and finally the Japanese.  During a three day stay in Melaka, I witnessed through food, architechure, and personal interaction this beautiful blending of different cultures.  Street stall sell Chinese egg noodles tossed in curries from India with a kick of tart lime and chili peppers from Thailand.  I stayed at a 200 year old guest house, built during the Portugese era on a street where a Chinese Buddhist temple exists next to a Muslim mosque, next to a Hindu temple.  The experience of being woken up by the sound of the call to prayer at the mosque, which was followed by buddhist monks chanting their morning prayers is like listening to different parts of similar chouruses, all blending together to create a beautiful harmony.  Prehaps this is why the street that my guest house and these places of religious worship are located on is called Harmony Street. 

The day before I left Melala, I had the opprotunity to sit down for a Chinese Tea ceremony with one of the daughters of the Chen family—one of the first Chinese families which came to Melaka during the Ming dynasty.  Over tea, I expressed to her my facination with Melaka, Malaysia and the culture of openness and acceptance.  She smiled at me and responded simply, « when you grow up in a diverse environment as this, you learn that to live happily, respect for one another is the key. »

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I especially love the description of the prayer calls/chanting in the morning. How beautiful!