Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chung Mung Nam Moi!!!



















Chung Mung Nam Moi (Happy New Year)!!!

It is spring time in Viet Nam.  The country is in a festive mood as people usher in the Year of the Tiger.  After leaving the monastery, I was immediately thrown into activities: spring cleaning, making Banh Chung (see previous post), finding the perfect branch of peach blossoms to display at home, visiting ancestral graves, and making lots of food for the traditional three days of feasting after the New Year.  I was guided through each of the activities above by relatives showing me the proper direction to sweep so bad luck does not leave the house, how many times to bow to show respect at the ancestral graves, and how to trim the branches of peach blossoms to ensure a balance and sense of harmony.  Every action is guided by traditions passed down from generation to generation, ensuring not only that these traditions are kept, but providing a space for inter-generational interaction.  During these activities, I have not only learned how to properly sweep a house, or trim a peach branch, but I have learned the life stories and experiences of my grandmother, grandfather, aunts and uncles.  As I take a moment to reflect, I am beginning to see the importance of traditions, rites and rituals--whether it be in Japan at a tea ceremony, the way in which languages have little nuisances, monastic daily life, or the direction in which one sweeps, traditions anchor us to our past, and act as guideposts for our future.  I am excited to see how my eyes will be furthered opened and my experiences enhanced through tradition as my travels continue.

Below are some pictures of Da Lat during the Tet season:



2 comments:

Kristen Risley said...

Your pictures continue to be excellent and your writing superb. This last post made me think of how much this travel will truly serve you in your career as you assess a patient and his life and lifestyle. I'm reading you in Google reader and hadn't come to the website itself but did just now and love the thought you put into the quote, the pictures, the map, etc.
Thank you for sharing this experience with all of us!

nancyrw said...

Happy New Year to you darlin'. It's really lovely to read of your adventures. xxx